The vision of the Johnson County Building Officials is to create a system whereby the jurisdictions within the county can adopt codes and procedures that promote uniformity. As Building Officials we shall endeavor to:
- Develop and adopt codes that are uniform throughout Johnson County
- Provide a process that encourages participation of the construction industry.
- Adopt the International Building Code, International Plumbing Code, International Mechanical Code, International Residential Code, National Electrical Code and other related codes as necessary to insure safe construction.
- Promote consistency of code interpretations.
- Develop a uniform countywide contractor licensing and inspector certification program to insure that minimum code standards are maintained throughout the county.
- Develop and administer a countywide information program for all interested groups and organizations. Enhance and promote information resource sharing between Building Officials throughout Johnson County .
- Educate elected officials and citizens of Johnson County on construction code issues.
- Develop and institute a regional training program to provide code awareness and uniformity of code knowledge throughout Johnson County and the surrounding area.
- Develop and administrate uniform administrative procedures, schedules and forms.
Johnson County Building Official's Association (JOCOBO), over the last several years has promoted uniformity of code applications between jurisdictions and promoted quality construction within the scope of the codes. These efforts have involved development of common accepted practices.
Past JOCOBO initiatives:
Common Licensing provisions through Johnson County
Residential Braced Wall/Lateral Loads Committee
Residential Deck Construction – Accepted Practices
Residential Stucco Accepted Practices
Basement Finish – Accepted Practice
Residential Foundation Standards